Swat Blast: Conclusive Report Rules Out Terrorist, Suicide Activity

Swat Blast: Conclusive Report Rules Out Terrorist, Suicide Activity
There was no terrorist activity involved in the Swat CTD police station explosions last week, according to a detailed report issued by District Police Officer, Swat.

It says no forced entry was recorded at the main gate; anyone who wants to enter old CTD compound must pass through three layers of security, i.e. main gate, police station gate, and the main compound gate.

Moreover, as per postmortem of the bodies and the investigation of the site, there was no evidence of use of a ball-bearing, which is used in a suicide attack.

The report went on to add that the two consecutive blasts took place due to the explosive material present inside.

All vehicles damaged due the blast were thoroughly inspected, but no evidence of IED or another explosive was found.

On Sunday, Inspector General of Police Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Akhtar Hayat Khan inspected the building, and made a detailed assessment of the damage.

Read this too: Preliminary Investigation Blames Short Circuit For Swat CTD Building Explosions

He issued instructions for the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the building as soon as possible.

Additional Inspector General CTD Shaukat Abbas, Regional Police Officer Swat Nasir Mehmood Sati, and district officers accompanied the IG during the visit.

Over 40 people were injured in the explosion, according to police, that had also verified that at least 16 people were martyred.

Police had also expressed a "high likelihood that the blast was caused by a short circuit as fire erupted in the armory.”

While addressing the media after the explosion, CTD DIG Khalid Sohail had blamed 'carelessness' for the ammunition’s fire. He had also said that the incident occurred in the CTD's old office.

The officer had ruled out the idea that the blasts might have been a result of a terrorist strike or a suicide bombing or a planned activity.

The author has been a correspondent for national and international broadcasters in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for the past five years.