Qureshi Released From Adiala Jail, Warrants Out For Gill

Qureshi Released From Adiala Jail, Warrants Out For Gill
Senior Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Shah Mahmood Qureshi was released from Adiala Jail, nearly a month after being arrested in wake of the May 9 violent protests, on Tuesday.

Talking to media outside the jail after his release, Qureshi said that he would meet the PTI chairman Imran Khan tomorrow (Wednesday) and speak to him about the prevailing political situation of the country.

The party stalwart told media persons, "I have spent a month in solitary confinement and got time to reflect and think about a lot of things...tomorrow I will meet Imran Khan and present him my political analysis and seek guidance."

Release orders

Earlier today, the Rawalpindi bench of the Lahore High Court set aside the politician's detention orders and restrained police from arresting him in any other case related to the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO).

In is verdict, the court also directed Qureshi to submit a bond to the Rawalpindi district magistrate to secure his release.

'A new beginning'

A few days ago, party's former PTI Sindh chapter senior vice president, Mahmood Moulvi had stated that the outcome of a meeting between party defectors and Qureshi will be apparent soon.

Following the riots on May 9, Moulvi was one of several party leaders who resigned from their leadership positions with the PTI and their seats in the National Assembly.

He had said, "Our meeting at the jail was encouraging, and its results would be revealed within two days."

Defections in the former ruling party begun in wake of the May 9 unrest, which involved the targeting of security and government installations.

Warrants for Gill

Meanwhile, an additional sessions and district court in Islamabad has issued non-bailable arrest warrants for another party leader, Shahbaz Gill in a sedition case.

Gill is reportedly facing multiple cases pertaining to his controversial, public remarks about the military.