Gilgit Police Chief Transferred After LEA's Alleged Assault On Punjab Police

Gilgit Police Chief Transferred After LEA's Alleged Assault On Punjab Police
The federal government has transferred Gilgit-Baltistan police chief Muhammad Saeed, hours after the info minister's remarks that the LEA was used against Punjab police during yesterday's Zaman Park clashes.

Saeed was instructed to report to the Establishment Division with immediate effect until next orders, as per the official communiqué.

In a separate notification issued on the same day (Wednesday), the department concerned said Dar Ali Khan Khattak has been posted as the new police chief of the region.

Earlier today, Marriyum Aurangzeb said that Punjab and GB police came face to face during the operation conducted on Tuesday to arrest PTI chairman from his residence in Lahore.

When a heavy contingent of Punjab and Islamabad police reached the entrance of the house, the officers and personnel of GB police pointed their guns at them, after which they moved back to save their lives, she added.

Read this too: ‘Ask Khan To Give In’, Yasmin Rashid’s Alleged Audio Leak With Alvi Surfaces

During the operation, there were fierce clashes between the police and PTI workers, in which many police officials, including the DIG Islamabad, were injured. The party workers, armed with wooden sticks, pelted stones at the personnel who were there to execute the arrest warrants issued in the Toshakhana case. Upon which, police fired tear gas shells and baton-charged the party workers to disperse them.

The Punjab caretaker government met in an emergency session in the early hours today to reiterate their resolve that they will arrest Khan to fulfill court orders. Punjab caretaker chief minister Mohsin Naqvi has declared his support for policemen who were injured in attacks by PTI supporters, but sources claim that the caretaker government as well as police were hesitant to use full force to prevent casualties, after the death of PTI supporter Ali Bilal on March 8.

On Wednesday morning, Imran tweeted that the paramilitary Punjab Rangers were “taking over” security duties from police stationed outside Zaman Park, and claimed that his supporters had earlier faced live ammunition as well as rubber bullets.