'Still Recovering From Just One Bullet': Malala Opens Up About Her Road To Recovery

'Still Recovering From Just One Bullet': Malala Opens Up About Her Road To Recovery
Nobel laureate girls rights activist Malala Yousafzai has spoken about how she recovered from her injuries nine years after she was attacked by the Taliban in Swat, Khyber Pakhtukhwa (KP). In 2012, Malala was shot in the head at the age of 15, The Taliban had intercepted her school van when she along with her classmates was returning from school. "Who is Malala," they had asked before shooting her in the head.

Malala went on to receive recognition for her bravery from various international forums and emerged as a champion of education and girls' rights. The Nobel laureate, who is now 24, took to Twitter to share her experience and her challenges since the attack.

"Two weeks ago I lay in a hospital bed in Boston undergoing my sixth surgery, as doctors continued to repair the Taliban’s damage to my body," she wrote in a social media post. Malala shared an article she wrote on Podium wherein she narrated the extent of damage the attack had inflicted on her.

"The bullet grazed my left eye, skull and brain — lacerating my facial nerve, shattering my eardrum and breaking my jaw joints," she stated.

Malala further wrote that the emergency surgeons in Peshawar removed her left temporal skull bone to create space for my brain to swell in response to the injury. "Their quick action saved my life, but soon my organs began to fail and I was airlifted to the capital city, Islamabad. A week later, doctors determined that I needed more intense care and should be moved out of my home country to continue treatment," she recalled.

Malala also said that she had no recollection of the event until she gained consciousness at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

"When I opened my eyes, I was relieved to realise I was alive. But I didn’t know where I was or why I was surrounded by strangers speaking English," she said.