Five Killed As Hindu-Muslim Clashes Erupt In India’s Haryana State

Five Killed As Hindu-Muslim Clashes Erupt In India’s Haryana State
Five people, including a naib imam of a mosque in Gurgaon, were killed and over 50 others were injured when Hindu-Muslim clashes broke out in the Indian state of Haryana, according to the Indian Express.

A Hindu religious procession that was passing through the predominantly Muslim Nuh district, which is around 50 kilometers from the country’s capital, sparked the violence, according to Reuters, which cited concerned police officials.

According to Nuh police spokesperson Krishan Kumar, the procession was intended to go from one temple to another, but conflicts between the two groups occurred en route.

He said that 10 police officers were injured in the clashes, and two of the deceased were home guard volunteers who help police put a stop to public disturbances.

By Monday night, the unrest had spread to the nearby city of Gurugram, where a mosque had been set on fire at midnight, leaving one person dead and another injured.

Anil Vij, the home minister for Haryana, said that on Tuesday, a curfew will be in effect in the area, and all schools and colleges will be shuttered.

While there haven't been any new reports of violence, the environment in the area is still tense. However, Nuh and other places have seen an increase in security, according to the Indian news agency PTI.

The perpetrators who set the mosque on fire have been identified, and some of them have been apprehended, according to a statement released by Gurgaon Police early on Tuesday.

In a message on messaging service X, previously known as Twitter, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar decried the situation, where curfew measures have been put in place and the internet has been cut down.

The harshest measures would be taken against the guilty, he added, adding that they would not be spared at any cost.

In a separate incident, an Indian railway security guard has been arrested after he allegedly shot dead a colleague and three passengers on board a train.

After reportedly killing three passengers and one of his coworkers on a train, an Indian railway security officer was detained.

Following the shooting on board the Jaipur-Mumbai Central Superfast Express train early on Monday, the suspect, 33-year-old Railway Protection Force (RPF) constable Chetan Singh, thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Yogi Adityanath, the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state.

In one of the videos that have been extensively circulated on the X social networking site, previously known as Twitter, Singh can be seen holding his gun in one hand while standing close to a person covered in blood.

He was heard stating in one of the tapes, "If you want to live and vote in Hindustan [India], I am telling you, it's only Modi and Yogi."

On the moving train in the town of Palghar in the southwestern state of Maharashtra at approximately 5 a.m. (23:30 GMT on Sunday), two hours outside of Mumbai, Singh is accused of shooting RPF Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) Tika Ram Meena and three passengers, two of whom were recognized as Muslims.