Pakistan's Institutions Under Attack By Mobs Following Imran's Arrest

Pakistan's Institutions Under Attack By Mobs Following Imran's Arrest
Protests are being reported from multiple areas of the country as rioters engage in scuffles with law enforcers following PTI chairman Imran Khan's arrest from the Islamabad High Court premises earlier today (May 9).

The party called for protests shortly after the former premier's arrest, with riots breaking out in multiple cities and thoroughfares blocked.

According to Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah, the former premier is currently in NAB's custody, after he failed to appear before the bureau despite numerous summons.

There have been reports of PTI workers gathering outside and entering the Corps Commander's residence in Lahore. Also, the supporters gathered outside the Frontier Corps headquarters in Peshawar.

Army vehicles were also pelted with stones in Lahore Cantt, as per video footages of the occurrence, following Imran's arrest.

The rioters also attempted to barge into GHQ, as some were seen kicking and slamming the main-gate.

In Karachi, protesters blocked the main Shahrah-e-Faisal, and put a police vehicle on fire. There were also scenes of rioters pelting stones at a police vehicle, after Imran's arrest.

In Islamabad, police said at least five of the personnel were injured, while some 40 protesters were taken into custody.

Read this too: ‘Not Just One Institution Is Respectable’, Khan Responds to ISPR 

There were also protests and scuffles in Peshawar, Multan, Hyderabad, and Quetta. Section 144 was put in place in Peshawar and Lahore to contain the unrest.

Online services, such as Twitter and WhatsApp also suffered outages in multiple parts of the city.

Khan was arrested by Rangers in the Al-Qadir Trust case, by a heavy force of the paramilitary personnel from the premises of the courtroom where he had appeared to secure pre-arrest bail in multiple FIRs registered against him.

According to videos circulating on social media, Khan was sitting in the diary section of the high court to get his biometric verification done, when armed Rangers personnel forcibly entered the room and took him away.

At least 50 uniformed personnel in riot gear could be seen surrounding the former premier as they forced him to enter a black vehicle with signals jamming equipment installed on it.

Inspector General of Police (IGP) Islamabad Dr. Akbar Nasir Khan confirmed the arrest and stated that “the situation is under control”. NAB officials had warrants for his arrest, the IGP added.